Monday, October 5, 2009

Friday, October 2nd at V2 in Layton, Utah


On Friday we had a show set up to be opening for Vegas band "Marshall Price" Who are touring the northwest and Layton was the first stop on the tour. I got a text from one of the venues managers on Thursday saying that the show was going to be cancelled.. WHAT?! I had been advertising for this show, I had about 30 people commited to coming out. When I asked why, he said that there wasn't anybody to run the show. So I let the band know and was starting to put things together to let all of the fans know that we wouldn't be playing and while I was doing that I got another text saying "never mind.. the show is back on"

Apparently when the venue manager told the tour manager for Marshall Price, he lost it and freaked out. The tour manager told the club that he had 60 to 75 people that had confirmed with him that they would be there! Great, this should be an awesome show, a crowd of about 100 people would be a lot of fun.

The doors opened about 45 minutes after they were supposed to and it was nothing but KHP fans. There were maybe 5 or 6 people there to see Marshall Price and no more showed up during the show. Of course we still rocked out for our fans, with it being an all ages venue a lot of our younger fans could finally see us play. At one point I was jammin playing the show and I look down right in front of the stage and My youngest son and Richards son were stood there with their hands up in the air giving me the rock symbol with their first finger and pinky up and the rest down.. I thought it was hilarious.


Marshall price played and did a really good job. They are a pretty good band, they played some original songs and some covers of old 70's rock songs. They had some pretty funny t-shirts at the merch table. Jason ended up buying a shirt that said "Marshall Price, I'm gonna f**k your girlfriend" The only thing that bothers me about these kind of shows is how we are kind of used. The venue knows that we can bring a pretty good crowd. So when they have a touring band that they book, they are contracted to pay that band. And how do they make money to pay that band? Well from the ticket sales of the local band. So all of the money of our loyal fans are split up between the venue and the touring band. So, I guess for us to start making money we better hit the road and let some local band somewhere else make all of the money for us..

No comments:

Post a Comment