Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Song Post: Blood Stays On The Blade

I am going to start blogging the lyrics to our songs starting with our newest song "Blood Stays On The Blade"

This song is written about a man that is going into a kill or be killed battle with another man. The basis of the story is that he is a complete contradiction of confidence and apprehension because he used to be a tough guy not to mess with, but he is slightly getting older. Although he feels that he is fully capable, he can't help but feel a little bit of doubt.


We actually had this whole song finished, all of the music and lyrics, except for the line "blood stays on the blade" before we had decided on a name. The basis of the song and its content reminded me of a scene in the movie "Gangs of New York" it was just before the opening battle between the two main gangs in New York. An older man was shaving his face with a straight razor while his young son stood and watched. After the man finished shaving, he cut a small cut into his cheek and hands the razor to the little boy. The little boy is about to wipe the blood on his pants to clean the blade when his father stops him.. "No" he says, "The blood stays on the blade"


Here is the actual scene in the film


Blood Stays On The Blade

I've got just enough pride to make a foolish mistake
but I've got just enough fight to make it out of this place
Don't think, just because I'm calm that I'm the weaker man
and don't think, just because I won't doesn't mean that I can

With a Blade in my pocket and a flame in my eye
I am too old for combat but I'm too young to die
Blood stays on the blade

I've got another mans blood all over my hands
now I've got to go on the run 'cause I'm a wanted man
I warned you before that this would be a fight
your point doesn't matter now if you were wrong or right

With a Blade in my pocket and a flame in my eye
I am too old for combat but I'm too young to die
Blood stays on the blade

1 comment: